Monday, June 22, 2009

I'm pregnant and still nursing...


I have been thinking so much lately about the fact that I'm pregnant and still nursing. Not because I have any issues with it, but of course because so many other people seem to. It's ok though; I once again possibly doubted my decisions and myself but thankfully have come to my senses. I have heard so many things for so long now regarding the length of time I have chosen to nurse my son. First it was at around the 6 month mark..."how much longer are you going to do that, he can eat food now." Then as I was approaching the one-year mark, "you're going to give it up by his birthday right?" Well, please let me continue only so that any of you that are still nursing can relate and have heard these very same comments. Then it became, "You know you can't get pregnant while you are still nursing..." Oh, but my friends, I did. That however, wasn't the end. Now, I am faced weekly with the, "When are you going to wean him, your depriving your unborn baby." Oh myyyyyyyyyy...first of all, what I really want to know is this. WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH? I know I may seem a bit irritated and as I write this I am actually giggling. I just think it's so funny how concerned everyone is about this and yet sometimes.... it’s really just not funny. I love my son more than anything, as I've mentioned before. I feel that our relationship is so amazing and our nursing relationship has just been perfect. It still is. I just read a wonderful article on tandem nursing.... uh oh, yes that's what I said. Don't worry; I'm ready for you. The article mentioned how if your child is willing to nurse through the pregnancy and it's still working for both of you, then tandem nursing is an incredible experience. It said how your body would know to produce plenty for both the newborn and toddler and it actually helps the two of them bond in such a special way. At this point, I am just so, so happy and things are going so well over here. I would never do anything to hurt any of us.... my husband, my son, my unborn baby or myself. That being said, I know that this can't be wrong. The mutual benefit is the best. I will never get this time back and I will never regret giving my son or myself this gift. I just want to say, to any of you who are relating and who ever doubt yourself, trust your instincts. Trust yourself as a woman and as a mother. You do know the answers. I still haven't figured out exactly why people are so concerned or really even where they are coming from but that is ok. I really don't need to understand that now. I just need to continue doing what I'm doing and enjoying every day and allowing nature to take it's course. I will know when it's time to make a change. I will know and so will you. Goodnight all and Happy Breastfeeding!


Sandy Frankfort

LoveWrap - Wrap Your Baby With Love
sandy@babylovewrap.com
http://www.babylovewrap.com

3 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, but I love what you wrote...even if I've never been in your exact shoes. The best response I've ever heard to those innappropriate questions is, "Why do you ask?" This catches people off guard and they're likely to drop the whole subject. If it continues, simply say, "That's a very personal question." Good luck to you!

    Chris in NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy,
    I am also new to your blog (which I think is great)! You share your experiences so well which really gives moms another perspective. So, since you are one of the newly discovered blogs for me, I am giving you an award! Go to the following to collect:
    http://www.thetamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Thing.

    I love you and support ALL of your decisions as a Mother. I'm actually going to start my own blog about all my different friends / family with new babies, how all of their parenting decisions are different, and all the outcomes. If one more "Mommy and Me" person preaches to me I think I'll just scream. I love you so much, and you're the BEST Mommy I know.

    xo,
    Your Sister in Law.

    ReplyDelete